Thursday, January 01, 2009

An end and a new beginning

2008 is at an end. As I was listening to the news tonight I heard several times that people were going to be happy about 2008 coming to an end. I imagine that most are thinking about the economy. Things are definitely not what they use to be and at the same time it sure could be worse. I have heard it said that there are countries in the world that would love to have a recession if that would mean that they had as much money as those that feel they are suffering in America. I guess it all depends on how you look at it, or even better, it all depends on how you respond to what comes your way.

As the New Year comes my way I want to think about some words of wisdom that I have tried to remember, memorize and put into action. Here it is, “The circumstances of life, the events of life, and the people around me in life do not make me the way I am but reveal the way I am.” (Dr. Sam L. Peeples. Jr) In other words I can’t blame circumstances etc… for making me unhappy in 2008. If I was unhappy in 2008 it was because I choose to be unhappy. If I am going to be happy in 2009 it is because I will choose to be. My job is to respond to all that comes my way as coming from a sovereign God that loves and cares for me and has my best interests in mind. This does not mean that all will go the way I want it to or even the way I think it should. What it does means is that I can’t control the things that happen to me or around me but I can control the way I respond to them.

Paul in Philippians 4:4-7 says, “Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon. Don’t worry about anything, instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home