Saturday, June 13, 2009

Why do you do it?

Once while serving coffee to some rowdy people on a late Saturday night in Stockholm Sweden I was asked a question that I had trouble answering. A drunk walked up to me and asked me, “Why do you do it”? I answered with an answer that I often gave to people that were going in and out of the city subway station in Vårberg where I lived. I said, “We are a small group of people that are planting a church in this area of Stockholm. We heard this was a pretty rough subway stop and we wanted to help make it a calmer place.” We would stand out there beside the subway entrance with free coffee and tea and serve it from 12 midnight until around 3 am.

The answer that I gave the drunk that night didn’t satisfy him. He looked at me, smiled and then asked me, “really now, why are you doing this?” I answered with the same answer as if he didn’t understand it the first time only to get it asked again for a third time. At this moment I realized the man was drunk and I didn’t answer again. I just continued to do what I was doing. I met this same drunk on several occasions while serving coffee late Saturday nights and early Sunday mornings and he would ask the same question. After awhile I realized I didn’t like my answer! I really didn’t like it. Was I serving people on Saturday nights into the wee hours only to get people to come to our church that we were starting? Was I only serving to get something in return? Is it wrong to do it that way? Jesus says, “If you love only those who love you, why should you get credit for that? Even sinners love those who love them! And if you do good only to those who do good to you, why should you get credit? Even sinners do that much! And if you lend money only to those who can repay you, why should you get credit? Even sinners will lend to others sinners for a full return. Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the most high, for He is kind to those who are unthankful and wicked. You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate.” (Luke 6:32-36)

When I read the words of Jesus I see that it is not wrong to do things for others because of what you will get, it is just wrong to do it if you are expecting to get something from them. Our reward is from God, the one who created us and the one we are serving. When we follow God’s word and do what He says we are promised a reward from Him. He is the one that gives us joy in what we do and peace that passes all understanding. We are to serve others because our Heavenly Father serves us and has made us to serve others. He gives us joy and peace here on earth as we serve and an eternity together with Him when we die. Our Heavenly Father is a compassionate God. This trait of compassion should run in the family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home